top of page

PF 2835 Consent to Medical Treatment and Educational Service

As provided by statute, and as otherwise provided in Board Policy, the following individuals may consent to student medical treatment and educational services:

Parents Student’s legal guardian Relative caregiver Foster parent Any person who under court order is authorized to give consent for a student

A “relative caregiver” is defined by statute as a competent adult (18 years of age or older) who is related to the student by blood, marriage or adoption, and who is not the parent. Relative caregivers are required to provide an affidavit attesting that the student lives with the relative caregiver and they are responsible for the care of the student. (See Form 2835).

A relative caregiver acting under the requirements of an affidavit may consent to medical treatment and educational services for a student who cannot otherwise legally consent, if the parent has delegated these responsibilities in writing, or after reasonable efforts, the consent of the parent cannot be obtained.

The consent of the relative caregiver will be revoked in the event the student’s parent withdraws their authorization provided the parent’s decision does not threaten the life, health or safety of the student. In addition, if the student ceases to live with the relative caregiver, the relative caregiver must immediately notify the District. Upon receipt of such notice, the relative caregiver can no longer consent to medical treatment or educational services.

A relative caregiver’s affidavit is valid for one year from the date received by the District.

Last modified: July 12, 2014

bottom of page